Alternative schools – level 2
In many schools, teachers are still teaching traditionally. They give lectures, students get instructions and they fill in worksheets. They are separated by age and from their parents, too.
The Life School in Atlanta, US, teaches differently. Children are in groups according to their abilities, and often, they can choose what they want to study. They do projects and work in a team. Children can run around the class and have fun.
Studies show that alternative schools have benefits. Students are more empathetic and they can work in a team. They enjoy learning and most importantly, they have better results than students from traditional schools.
Difficult words: traditional (something what exists or people do for a long time without a change), ability (when someone can do something), alternative (another possibility), empathetic (understanding feelings of the others).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What type of projects and activities do students at the Life School in Atlanta undertake as part of their learning process?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.