Americans don’t live very long – level 2
After World War II, the US was in a good situation, and its economy grew. In the 1960s, the average American lived almost 70 years, and the US ranked 18th in the world in life expectancy.
In 2020, the US ranked 61st in life expectancy out of 237 nations, so the situation of other nations improved. Today, the country’s life expectancy is 77 years old, which is 7 years more than 60 years ago. Experts believe that many things influence why Americans don’t live as long as other nations’s peoples.
Since World War II, Americans benefited from modern medicine. At the same time, they started to work more, exercise less, and eat unhealthy food. American health care isn’t as good as in other countries, and many people don’t do check-ups. They often wait to visit a doctor until they are seriously ill.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.