An Underwater Surprise – level 3
Police in the American state of Arizona thought that they were about to embark on a grim investigation when they received reports of human remains at the bottom of the Colorado River.
On closer inspection, and much to the relief of emergency crews, the so-called remains were two fake skeletons enjoying a tea party.
The discovery of the underwater bash came after officers received reports that a snorkeler had saw human bones, but they soon found the pair donning sunglasses and lounging in lawn chairs on the riverbed. One of the skeletons bore a sign reading, “Bernie living the dream in the river.”
Two divers later came forward to claim responsibility for creating the skeleton tea party. The pair placed the skeletons named Bernie and Bernadette in the river in August 2014 for their own amusement. The county lieutenant expressed hopes that the dive site will become a tourist attraction for the area.
Difficult words: embark (begin), grim (serious), bash (a party), don (wear), lounge (lie in a relaxed way), bore (held onto), Bernie (this was a character who was dead during a comedy movie made in the 1980s), live the dream (feel very relaxed and happy), lieutenant (a police officer).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.