An unusual friend – level 3
An 80-year-old French retiree named Xavier Bouget was out walking one day near his home in Brittany, when he saw a chick pigeon fall to the ground when it was trying to escape from a cat.
After telling his wife what he saw, she asked him why he didn’t pick the bird up. Bouget returned to the bird and carried it home in his pocket. The pigeon has become a constant companion, following Bouget when he rides on his bicycle, tinkers in his workshop, and works in his garden.
Bouget often gets asked about his relationship with the pigeon who he calls Blanchon. He revealed the key to the friendship: mutual respect. Every human could have that kind of a relationship with an animal. It was a matter of patience, of watching the bird live and adapting to his way of life.
Difficult words: constant (continuing without a break), tinker (to attempt to repair or improve something in a casual or uninterested way), mutual (experienced or performed by each of two or more people or groups).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos