Angola elections – level 3
Last week, a government party MPLA claimed victory in Angola’s election; the party has ruled oil-rich Angola continuously for nearly 50 years.
Only one day after the vote, the results were published with remarkable speed. In 2017, the last election numbers took two weeks to complete.
Ex-Marxist MPLA had a solid majority after all votes were counted; however, the main opposition party cast doubt on the results. MPLA lost its majority in parliament, so it must cooperate with opposition lawmakers for the first time. Analysts fear that disputes will ignite violence among the poor and frustrated youth who voted for other parties.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.