Aspartame may be dangerous – level 1
Aspartame is a chemical substance. It makes food and drinks sweet.
We can find aspartame in many different products, for example, soft drinks or chewing gum. It is possible that aspartame causes cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) checks the evidence which it has. Experts from another group say how much aspartame is safe to consume in one day. IARC already says that aspartame can be dangerous. It makes people worried. Companies change the recipes of some products.
The World Health Organization checks aspartame, too. It says that aspartame is safe. But people must watch how much aspartame they eat. If IARC says that aspartame can cause cancer, it will start a big discussion about how safe it really is.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential health risks of consuming aspartame?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.