Athlete wears a war symbol – level 3
A Russian gymnast named Ivan Kuliak stood on the podium at Apparatus World Cup in Doha, Qatar. He taped a ‘Z’ symbol on his shirt in the place of the Russian flag.
The ‘Z’ is a pro-war symbol of President Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, and it’s been spreading fast among supporters of the invasion, including politicians and protesters. Media first spotted the symbol on Russian tanks that were on their way to Ukraine, and since then, it’s a way for Russia’s military to identify its own forces. Kuliak wore the symbol on his shirt when he stood next to his Ukrainian rival Illia Kovtun; Illia won a gold medal at the World Cup.
Kuliak is now under investigation, and he’s facing discipline by the International Gymnastics Federation, FIG. FIG announced in late February that the flags of both Russia and Belarus mustn’t be displayed at any of its competition, and Russians and Belarusians were banned from taking part at any FIG competitions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.