Atlanta Shooting – level 2
A 21-year-old man killed eight people in three massage parlors in Atlanta, Georgia, US.
The attacks happened last week on Tuesday afternoon, and they happened shortly after each other. Police said that seven of the victims were women, and six were Asian-Americans.
It seems that the killer acted alone, but police do not know why he did it. It was not clear if the man’s plan was to kill Asian people, but some Asian people were scared after the attacks. More attacks on Asian-Americans happened during the coronavirus pandemic, and some people believe that the reason is the coronavirus.
Police arrested the man a few hours after the attacks and he was charged with murder.
Difficult words: massage (rubbing somebody’s muscles with hands to reduce pain and relax), parlor (a public place where guests come), charge (to formally say that someone did something wrong and he must go to court).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos