Attack in Belgium – level 3
A drug dealer and robber who was radicalised in jail carried out a terror attack in Belgium that left three people dead.
Thirty-six-year-old Benjamin Herman was on day release in the city of Liege when he hunted down two female police officers, stole their guns and shot them dead, before killing a third person. He then took a cleaning lady as hostage inside a local high school where police later shot him dead.
A prison source reported that Herman became close to radical inmates, was ‘psychologically unstable’ and wanted to ‘carry out attacks when released’. Eyewitnesses said that he shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ as he launched the attack.
Difficult words: hostage (when a person holds someone to get something that they want from the police or authorities), source (a person who tells information), inmate (prisoner), Allahu Akbar (the Arabic words for ‘God is great’), launch (start).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.