Attack on Ecuador TV – level 2
In Ecuador, several men with guns interrupted a live TV broadcast, which brought even more chaos to the country.
President Daniel Noboa called 22 gangs terrorists, and he started a military action against them. The men got into Guayaquil’s TC studio, they shot a cameraman and injured one more person. Police arrested the men and rescued the TV people. Prison conflicts and the drug trade lead to a lot of violence. There are bomb attacks, kidnappings and prisoners escape from prisons. The government declared a 60-day state of emergency.
This is not a problem only for Ecuador, it has an impact on other countries, too. For example, China closed its embassy in Ecuador. Many people criticize the president for making the situation even worse.
Difficult words: chaos (the situation when nobody knows what to do or where to go), kidnapping (taking a person away by force), embassy (a group of people who represent their country in a foreign country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How has the recent violence and chaos in Ecuador affected other countries, and what actions have been taken in response to it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.