Australians vote on Aboriginal people – level 1
Australia says no to a plan which would help Aboriginal people and their problems.
Australians do not want to change their constitution. Also, they say no to a plan to create a special group which would talk to politicians about Indigenous problems. But most people do not want it. On Saturday, there is a big vote. Shortly after the vote, it is already clear that the plan is not going to happen. Some people feel sad. They think that Aboriginal people still have problems with health, school, and more.
The vote happens 235 years after the British people come to Australia. Many people do not treat Aboriginal people fairly. Some people want to change it. But it will be very hard now.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the outcome should have been for the plan to help Aboriginal people?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.