Awesome Video of the Sun – level 3
The American Space Agency’s Solar Dynamic Observatory snaps a photo of the sun every 12 seconds in ten wavelengths of invisible ultraviolet light.
Each wavelength helps highlight a different temperature of solar material and each is assigned a colour.
In the project named ’Thermonuclear Art’, a team pieced together the video from the individual pictures. It took a team of specialists about ten hours to produce one minute of footage. You can see solar flares, vast explosions of material bursting out of the Sun’s surface, and coronal loops – this is solar material streaming up and down the lines of the Sun’s magnetic field.
Recently, NASA also released a video of Jupiter in 4K, showing changes in the planet’s Giant Red Spot.
Difficult words: snap (take), assign (give), thermonuclear (relating to nuclear reactions which happen on the sun), solarflare (a brief eruption of intense high-energy radiation from the sun’s), vast (large), 4K (very high quality video).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this video of the sun and of Jupiter?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.