Baby Elephant in Sri Lanka – level 3
The port city of Hambantota in Sri Lanka is known for hundreds of wild elephants that roam freely around.
One young calf found itself in a sticky situation after it was stuck in a drain. Luckily, local port workers and wildlife officials managed to get it out. Doctors later treated the baby elephant for what they thought was a broken leg.
Difficult words: roam (walk around), calf (the baby of a large mammal like the elephant), sticky situation (a problem), drain (a hole where water goes if there is too much of it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.