Baby sloth in London – level 3
A zookeeper and a teddy bear have taken on the role of surrogate mum to the ZSL’s newest arrival – a tiny baby sloth. The seven-week-old two-toed sloth needed a helping hand when his mum stopped producing milk.
Zookeepers have named the young male Edward after Johnny Depp’s famous character Edward Scissorhands. His name relates to his impressive claws which will grow up to 4 inches (10 centimetres) in length and enable him to cling on and climb easily through the treetops branches.
Edward is a nocturnal animal native to South America and is being fed every three hours with goat’s milk to help keep him fit and healthy.
Difficult words: surrogate (a substitute), ZSL (Zoological Society of London), tiny (very small), claw (a long nail on an animal), cling on (to hold tightly to), nocturnal (night).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.