Bad Passwords – level 2
In March, a group of hackers breached 150,000 security cameras inside hospitals, schools, prisons, and other buildings. Questions arose about why people used such bad passwords.
Many people use simple passwords like ’password’, ’password1,’ or ’ABC123’ because they can easily remember them. Then hackers can guess such passwords without problems, and they can use people’s email addresses and usernames on websites and apps. Bad passwords are the main reason why employees must change their passwords regularly because companies are afraid that hackers could steal important information.
Many websites and apps send a text to your phone and they ask you to confirm who you are. This is much safer and not as easy for hackers. Also, your password should not be a single word but a combination of letters, numbers, and special symbols.
Difficult words: hacker (a person who can get to somebody’s computer and steal data from it), breach (to break through), guess (to tell an opinion about something without having enough information about it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos