Bangladesh Funeral – level 2
Around 100,000 people came to a funeral of a top Islamic preacher in Bangladesh. There is a lockdown in the country because of the coronavirus, and people must not come to places where there are many other people.
However, local police could not stop the crowds because people wanted to show their respect to the popular preacher.
People were angry at the government because officials were not able to stop the event. One of the organizers said that the idea was to have a small funeral, and to respect the government´s rules. The organizers did not expect that so many people would come.
There are almost 2,500 people with the coronavirus in Bangladesh, and 91 people have died. Officials say that the number could be much higher because there are not enough testing kits.
Difficult words: funeral (a ceremony that happens when someone dies), preacher (a person who gives religious speeches), testing kit (a small box that doctors use to easily and quickly find out if a person is ill).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.