Battle of Britain – level 1
In summer 1940, Germany wants to attack Britain. Adolf Hitler is the German Nazi leader during World War II.
German planes start to fly over southern England. One of the most important battles of World War II starts. This battle happens only in the air. 1,497 British pilots die in the Battle of Britain. Hitler changes plans to invade Britain.
This week, historic planes fly over central London. A special ceremony takes place to remember the battle. Usually, 2,000 people meet in Westminster Abbey, the famous church in London. However, only 100 people meet there this year. The reason is the coronavirus.
Difficult words: battle (a fight), invade (to enter a country with a plan to take it over), historic (old), ceremony (a special event).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos