Battle of Britain – level 3
Historic Royal Air Force (RAF) planes took to the skies to mark the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
The RAF defended the skies over southern England, as Hitler’s Luftwaffe flew daily attacks ahead of a planned invasion. The battle was fought entirely in the air and resulted in Hitler postponing his plans to invade Britain. During the battle, 1,497 pilots and aircrew were killed or mortally wounded.
This week, three vintage Spitfires and one Hurricane conducted an amazing fly-past over central London, and a service was also held at Westminster Abbey as a part of the commemorations to remember the turning point in World War II. It was the venue’s first major event since lockdown, and fewer than 100 guests attended the service due to the coronavirus pandemic.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.