Bear at Football Stadium – level 3
A circus bear named Tina come out onto a football pitch in Russia to hype up the crowd. The real-life mascot handed the ball to the referee and clapped, facing the spectators before the start of the game.
Animal welfare groups condemned the act, calling it inhumane. Russia is hosting the 2018 World Cup, but FIFA said that the bear will not be making an appearance.
Difficult words: hype up (excite, make happy), mascot (an animal or a character that represents a sports team), condemn (criticise), welfare (well-being), inhumane (cruel), appearance (will not be present, will not come).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.