Beard Olympics – level 3
Mustaches and beards of all sizes and shapes were at the annual Beard Olympics in Germany on Saturday.
Around 100 proud beard wearers took part in the contest that happened in Eging am See in Lower Bavaria. Participants came from Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Israel, and Germany. They competed in categories including ’Mustache Dali’, ’Whiskers Freestyle’, and ’Full Beard Natural with Styled Upper Lip’.
A panel of seven trained barbers and hairdressers chose the winners across the multiple categories. One of the winners, Ralf Schulz, has been wearing his beard for seven years.
According to the president of the Bavarian Beard and Moustache Club, the secret behind the best groomed beard was hairspray and a hairdryer. Some men used mustache wax or hair mousse; however, good hairspray and a hairdryer were the basic things.
Difficult words: panel (a small group of people chosen to make a decision, or to give advice or opinions about something), barber (a person whose job’s to cut men’s hair and shave or trim beards), groom (to make something neat or tidy).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.