Belgian horseback fishers have problems – level 1
Bunter Vanbleu lives in a little village by the sea in Belgium. He uses a special horse to catch shrimp.
This way of fishing is very old and important for local people. The people who do this live near the sea. They see how things are changing because of climate change. They do not catch as many shrimp as before. But they find new kinds of fish. They come from the Atlantic Ocean. Some of them can be dangerous.
The sea is getting warmer. This change means that the fishing season is not the same. In the past, people stop fishing when the first snow comes in December. But now, there is no snow. Everything is different.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact has climate change had on Bunter Vanbleu and other local fishermen?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.