Big Insect Problem – level 1
Insects are small animals like ants, bees, bugs or flies. They are very important. Many animals eat them. If there are no insects, bigger animals have nothing to eat.
Insects also pollinate flowers. Without insects, plants cannot exist. Also, people cannot grow crops without insects.
There is a new study. It is shocking. It says that insects are dying. There are 2.5 less insects every year. In 10 years, there can be 25% less insects. This would be very bad.
People do not know why this is happening. However, they think that it is because the planet is getting warmer. Also, people use chemicals in farming. That can be a problem for the insects, too.
Difficult words: pollinate (to move from plant to plant so that the plant can make new plants), crops (a type of plant which people grow for food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos