Big Insect Problem – level 3
You may not like insects, but all of life on earth needs them to survive.
Birds, fish and reptiles feed on insects, and if there are no insects, they die from hunger. As they die, predators which eat birds, fish and reptiles die, too, which leads to a mass extinction.
Furthermore, insects pollinate most plants which means people cannot grow crops without them.
Insects are very important, so it was a great shock when a report found that the mass of insects is falling by 2.5 per cent a year. If this continues, there will be 25% less insects in just 10 years. If that happens, all of life will be in terrible danger.
There are two answers to why there are less and less insects. It is probably earth’s rising temperatures, as well as the use of chemicals in farming.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.