Big Sapphire from Sri Lanka – level 3
Sri Lanka is famous for its precious stones, and the biggest blue star sapphire yet has been found recently.
It weighs an incredible 1404.49 carats (281 grams) and the current owner, who remained anonymous for safety reasons, claims that it could sell for up to 175 million dollars at auction.
The gem’s name is Sapphire the Star of Adam, after a Muslim belief that Adam came from the Garden of Eden and arrived in Sri Lanka, where the tears that he shed while seeking God’s forgiveness turned into gems.
Difficult words: star sapphire (a sapphire which reflects a star-like image), claim (when people say something that may or may not be true), shed (let drop).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this sapphire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos