Big Water in Greece – level 3
Greek authorities say that at least 15 people died in flash floods which devastated the outskirts of Athens, Greece. Many of them were elderly people whose bodies were found inside their homes. More than 37 people went to hospital and some are still missing.
Some locals are unhappy with the response from the district government. One resident said that everything was a mess and that there was no interest from anyone, neither the district officials nor the mayor; no one came to make sure that people were fine or whether they had drinking water.
Difficult words: flash floods (a sudden local flood), devastate (destroy or ruin), outskirts (the outer parts of a city), district (an area of a country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos