Billionaire tax – level 1
A report says that countries should make a new law about taxes.
This law would make rich people pay higher taxes. This law would give the countries 250 billion dollars every year. 2,700 world billionaires have 13 trillion dollars. So it is fair that they pay more. Right now, these rich people do not pay much in taxes. They hide their money in companies or other countries. This is a big problem. The tax system does not work well.
In the US, rich people pay around 0.5% in taxes. In France, they pay even less. Some people say that this is not fair. There are more and more rich people. They should help with big problems like climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What potential consequences would implementing this new law have on the economy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.