Bin Bag Dress – level 3
Nicolle Flint, a member of the Liberal Party of Australia, posted a video on social media in which she responded to sexist remarks about her appearance.
She called the remarks about her clothes “sexist garbage” and she dressed down wearing a bin bag or a trash bag.
Flint revealed the new outfit choice in response to an article written by ABC columnist and broadcaster, Peter Goers. Goers was critical of political newsletters; however, he paid a lot of attention to Flint’s pearl jewelry, vast wardrobe and stiletto heels. He even listed the different colors of Flint’s blazers.
Flint said that women in public should be judged on what they stand for and not on what they look like. Flint also recalled past experiences with sexism and misogyny in her career.
Difficult words: sexist (when someone judges or discriminates another person on the basis of gender), vast (large), stiletto heel (a long thin high heel), misogyny (showing feelings of hating women, or a belief that men are better than women).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos