Bing Dwen Dwen – level 1
The Winter Olympic Games start on February 4. They take place in Beijing, China. Bing Dwen Dwen is the mascot of the games. It is a stuffed panda.
Bing Dwen Dwen is very popular. Many people buy it. People wait in front of shops all night. It is very cold.
Four companies make Bing Dwen Dwen. They close for the Lunar New Year holiday. There are not enough souvenirs in shops.
Some people use this situation. They sell souvenirs on the internet. The price is much higher. Some things cost 17 times more than in shops. This is against the law. Police arrest three people.
Difficult words: mascot (a famous thing for an event, and it brings good luck), stuffed (a toy which has soft material inside), souvenir (a thing which people buy, and they remember a place or event).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos