Bing Dwen Dwen – level 2
Bing Dwen Dwen is a stuffed panda, and it is the mascot of the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing, China.
Since the Games started, hundreds of people waited in lines before shops to buy the Games souvenirs. Some people waited overnight as temperatures went below zero, and shops quickly sold some of the most popular things. Four companies made Bing Dwen Dwen, and they closed because it was the Lunar New Year. Nobody expected that the demand would be so high.
Some people used this situation to make money, and they sold souvenirs online for much higher prices. Some prices were 17 times higher than in shops, and police arrested three people.
Difficult words: stuffed (a toy which has a soft filling inside), mascot (a person or thing which people use as a symbol of an event, and it brings good luck), demand (when many people want to buy the same thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos