Birds of Prey Take Down Drones – level 3
People know that wild hawks may snatch drones in mid-flight, as they mistake them for smaller birds, and it was those incidents which led researchers to assume that birds of prey could be trained to take down rogue aircraft.
The Dutch National Police have taken up this challenge and are running a pilot project. There have been both success as well as setbacks. There were a few instances when the birds were hurt by the turning blades on the drones, and people requested more research to make sure that they animals would come to no harm.
After the research, the Dutch Police will decide whether or not to deploy a fleet of drone-hunting eagles.
Difficult words: hawk and eagle (birds of prey – bigger birds which catch other animals), snatch (grab quickly), rogue (bad), setback (a problem), fleet (a group).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this birds catching drones?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos