Bosnia earthquake – level 3
Last Friday, Bosnia experienced a strong earthquake with magnitude of 5.7. People felt the earthquake throughout the country and in neighboring Croatia, Serbia, and Montenegro.
The earthquake hit 42 kilometers southeast of the city of Mostar, and according to scientists, it was at a depth of five kilometers. One person died, at least two were injured, and hundreds of people fled from their homes. The earthquake caused significant damage across several cities, including Ljubinje and Čapljina. People felt it as far as Belgrade, more than 400 kilometers from the epicenter.
Scientists warned that aftershocks were likely to happen in the coming days, and they added that the Balkans was prone to seismic activity, so earthquakes were frequent in the area.
Difficult words: epicenter (the point on the earth’s surface directly above the origin of an earthquake), aftershock (a smaller earthquake that follows a large earthquake), prone (likely to suffer from something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.