Brazil Indigenous people win – level 2
Brazil’s top court made an important decision about Indigenous land rights.
The court voted against a plan supported by big farming businesses which tried to limit these rights. This decision means that Indigenous people can still claim land which they didn’t live on in 1988. People in Brazil celebrated this news, especially in the Amazon region, where many Indigenous people live. They are happy because this decision protects their history and rights.
Only two out of 11 judges didn’t support indigenous rights and they wanted to limit Indigenous land claims. Former president Jair Bolsonaro appointed these judges in the past.
Before this decision, activists worried that the court would deny the rights, which would harm Indigenous people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What long-term effects will the Brazilian Supreme Court decision have on Indigenous rights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.