Brazil riots for Bolsonaro – level 3
Similar to the US riots in January 2022 for former President Trump, people rioted in January 2023 in Brazil for former President Bolsonaro.
His supporters stormed government buildings because they refused to accept Luiz Inacio Lula de Silva’s election, just like Trump’s supporters didn’t accept Joe Biden’s election.
Similar to Trump, Bolsonaro refused to concede the election, and people have been rioting for Bolsonaro since President Lula won the election in October 2022.
Recently, Brazil announced it had control of the capital. The government and President Lula said they planned to punish the people involved, and police arrested more than 400 people who stormed the capitol, the presidential palace, and the supreme court. Unlike the US riots, no officials were in the buildings. Bolsonaro denounced the riots, and a Brazilian judge told the military to take apart camps of Bolsonaro supporters.
US President Biden said that the country supported Brazil’s democracy and the peaceful transfer of power. Another government official said that the US must not allow Bolsonaro safety in Florida. The US government can remove a person’s visa, but Bolsonaro has a visa for leaders, which ends when a person’s leadership role ends. He came to the US before his role ended.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.