Brazil’s New President – level 2
Jair Bolsonaro was sworn in as Brazil’s next president on last Tuesday. In his speech, he made some pretty big promises.
He promised to create a ‘society without discrimination or division’ and he also said that he would free the country from ‘corruption and crime’. Jair Bolsonaro is a former army captain, and he filled his cabinet with military leaders. Some Brazilians fear that he could bring military rule back to the country.
People also criticised him for his comments about homosexuality, black people and women. The American president, Donald Trump, congratulated Bolsonaro on Twitter.
Difficult words: swear in (officially say that somebody is the president), division (a separation of people into two or more groups), former (-ex), cabinet (a group of people that a president chooses to help him or her).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos