Brazil’s New President – level 3
Jair Bolsonaro was sworn in as Brazil’s next president on last Tuesday, and he made some pretty substantial promises in his inaugural speech.
He promised to create a ‘society without discrimination or division’ and he said that he would ‘free the country from corruption and crime’. Jair Bolsonaro is a former army captain and he has stacked his cabinet with military leaders, some of whom have little to no political experience. Some Brazilians have even expressed fears that he could bring back military rule to the country. People also criticised him for making controversial comments about homosexuality, black people and women.
The American president, Donald Trump, congratulated Bolsonaro on Twitter, saying, ‘The USA is with you!’
Difficult words: substantial (huge), inaugural speech (the speech you give when you start an important job), division (a separation of people into two or more groups), former (-ex), stack (fill in a certain way), controversial (something controversialmakes people talkand argue because they feel strongly about it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.