Brexit Deal – level 3
The chief negotiators of the UK and the EU met for intensive negotiations on a trade deal that would stave off an emotional end to the five-year-old Brexit crisis.
The key point of tension between the EU and Britain is fishing which alone made just 0.03% of Britain´s economic output in 2019; however, it is an emotional subject for Brexit supporters. They see fishing as a symbol of Britain´s sovereignty that leaving the EU should bring.
Boris Johnson, the UK prime minister, insisted that the country would take back control of UK´s waters while the EU wants to keep access to it. In France, British waters are important and if they were locked out, it would cause trouble to the French president.
Other areas of the debate include economic fair play and finding ways to settle future trade disputes.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.