Bridge connects Russia and China – level 3
Russia and China opened a new cross-border bridge that links the Russian city of Blagoveshchensk to the Chinese city of Heihe. The bridge cuts the travel distance of Chinese goods to Russia by 1,500 kilometers across the Amur river.
Moscow is seeking to increase trade with China after global sanctions hit the Russian economy due to the Ukraine war. According to Russian officials, in today’s separated world, the bridge has a particularly symbolic meaning. They say it connects the people of Russia and China more closely.
Construction of the bridge started in 2016, and thousands of people were involved in the work. Construction was completed two years ago; however, it remained unused because of the coronavirus pandemic.
According to officials, vehicles crossing the bridge will pay a toll of $150.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.