Bridge in Italy – level 3
Around 200 metres of a bridge in Genoa, Italy collapsed during a sudden storm. While many people came out alive, according to firefighters, 38 people died as a result of the incident which saw cars plunge down 45 metres.
Rescue teams have been working around the clock, and hundreds of people have evacuated over fears that more of the bridge will collapse.
Pictures taken weeks before the collapse show that the bridge was cracking and crumbling. Officials are launching an investigation to find out why the Morandi Bridge fell, but there are fears that the bridge was built with ‘MAFIA concrete’.
Difficult words: plunge (fall), around the clock (day and night, 24/7), crack (break), crumble (break or fall apart piece by piece), launch (start), MAFIA (an organised crime group that started in Italy).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.