Britain’s new prime minister – level 3
Liz Truss has become Britain’s new prime minister after she won a leadership race for the governing Conservative Party.
Since the 2015 election, Truss is the fourth prime minister from the party. She replaced Boris Johnson at a time when the country has a cost of living crisis, industrial and social unrest, and the ongoing war in Ukraine.
In her first speech, Truss announced her plan to cut taxes and grow the British economy. She also promised to deal with long-term issues of energy supplies. The Ukraine war is hitting countries across Europe; however, Britain particularly depends on gas, and its inflation rate is higher than other major European economies.
Experts say they have never seen a prime minister start in the office with such unfavorable headwinds, such as strikes everywhere from rail workers to lawyers or bin collectors. Truss will have to work hard to win the supporters of her rival and Britain’s former finance minister, Rishi Sunak.
Difficult words: unrest (a state of dissatisfaction and disagreements), headwinds (conditions that stop progress), rival (a competitor).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos