British couple win a lottery – level 2
Last week, a couple from Gloucester, UK, won $230 million in a lottery. It was the highest win in history; the previous record of $212 million was in October 2019.
Joe Thwaite learned in the morning that he won, and he waited for his wife Jess to wake up. When he told her about the win, she thought that it was a mistake. She couldn’t believe it at all.
Joe already quit his job, but his wife doesn’t know what to do. She runs a hairdressing salon with her sister, and she must decide if she will continue.
The couple have two children, and they always wanted to go to Hawaii. With all that money, it’ll be possible to make the dream come true. The couple want to travel the world to visit family and friends. They couldn’t easily visit them if they didn’t have the money.
Difficult words: lottery (a game to bet on numbers, and winners get prizes if these numbers are chosen), record (the best, highest, or fastest thing), quit (to stop doing something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos