British Prime Minister – level 1
Theresa May was the British prime minister. She stops being prime minister. Boris Johnson becomes the new prime minister.
He gives a speech as prime minister. He says that Britain is going to leave the EU on October 31st. He says that there is going to be a new Brexit deal. Britain is going to build a new partnership with Europe.
He also says that he is going to make hospitals and schools better.
Difficult words: was (past of ‘is’), deal (a plan, a document which says how things are done), partnership (when you are partners with somebody).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos