Britney Spears free again – level 2
Britney Spears is an American singer and actress who was born in 1981. She had a big impact on pop music during the 1990s and 2000s, and many people called her the Princess of Pop.
In 2004, Spears married a singer named Kevin Federline, and they had two children together. Spears and Federline divorced in 2006, and they both took care of their children. Then, Spears started to have problems with alcohol, and she ended up in several drug treatment centers.
In 2007, Federline got full custody of the children. In 2008, a judge decided that Spears’s father James Spears would become her conservator. It meant that he controlled her money and life for a long 13 years.
Britney’s fans did not want her father to control her life. They organized a petition, and they hoped that Britney would be free again. Last week, Britney’s father said that he would not be her conservator anymore.
Difficult words: drug treatment center (people who have problems with alcohol or other drugs get professional help at this place), full custody (when one parent takes full care of a child or children), petition (an official document which people sign when they want to make a legal change to something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.