Bull Sport in India – level 1
In southern India, there is a bull-taming sport. It is controversial. It is very popular. It is very old.
India’s leaders stop this sport for some time. The leaders say that the sport is cruel. One man says that people hit the bulls with sharp objects. They make them drink alcohol. They hurt their tails.
In 2017, the sport comes back. This is after people protest. They change the laws. An organisation wants the leaders to stop the sport again.
One man wants the sport. He says that people think of the bulls as their children.
Difficult words: tame (do things to an animal so that you can control it), controversial (when people feel strongly about something and they argue or talk about the thing), cruel (very bad for the animals – they get hurt).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.