Business with oxygen – level 2
India reported more than 414,000 new COVID cases per day last week. Nearly 4,000 people died from COVID-19 every day.
Four men wanted to take advantage of the serious situation, and they started to make a business with oxygen. They started to store oxygen cylinders secretly in a restaurant and bar in Lodhi Colony. They sold the cylinders online at very high prices. They used fire extinguishing cylinders which were red, and they painted them black because black was the color for oxygen.
Police arrested the men, and they seized 419 oxygen concentrators. A similar thing happened in another part of the country where police arrested three men.
Difficult words: take advantage (to make good use of something, usually in an unfair way), cylinder (a metal tank where people keep gas or liquid), fire extinguishing cylinder (a metal tank which has water or chemicals inside, and firemen use it to stop fires).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.