Casino on Fire – level 2
A gunman stormed into a casino in Manila, poured gasoline on the gambling tables and set them on fire. Thirty-six people suffocated from the smoke and at least 70 people were injured in a stampede away from the fire.
The Philippine authorities believe that the attack was not terror-related. The gunman’s motive was probably robbery, as he stole £1.7 million worth of chips. However, he was later found dead in a nearby hotel. It is possible that he killed himself.
Difficult words: storm (attack), suffocate (die from not being able to breathe), stampede (when a crowd moves in panic).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos