Catalan Protests in Barcelona – level 1
This happens a year ago. Catalonia is an area in Barcelona, Spain. The people there want Catalonia to break off from Spain. They want it to be a new country.
There is a referendum. Spain says that this referendum is illegal. Spain does not like Catalonia be a new country.
Now protesters fight against riot police. The police want to keep them away from other protesters. People get violent.
Spain’s government has serious money problems. The government leaders are worried. The people in Catalonia are very worried.
Difficult words: referendum (when people vote yes or no for something in the country to change, like Catalonia becoming a new country), illegal (against the law), riot police (police who try to control large groups of people who can be violent), violent (when you are violent, you can break things or hurt people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos