Catalan Protests in Barcelona – level 2
The Catalonian independence referendum in Spain took place almost one year ago. In a square in Barcelona, pro-Catalan protesters fought against riot police after the protesters threw paint and objects.
Police were trying to keep the protesters away from other protesters who want the police to get better pay. Police arrested one man as the protest turned violent.
Spain’s government has serious money problems, and political tensions are high in Catalonia.
Difficult words: independence referendum (when people vote yes or no for a big change, such as Catalonia to become a new country), riot police (police who try to control large groups of people who might riot – cause violence), political tension (problems, bad relations between people in politics).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.