Catalonia Protests – level 2
Catalonia is an area in northeastern Spain with about 7.5 million people, and its capital city is Barcelona. Catalonia has its own government, but it is under the control of the Spanish government.
For many years, the Catalans have tried to become independent, and it has caused many political problems. Last week, the Spanish Supreme court decided to ban Catalonia’s leader, Quim Torra, from his office. Torra must not work in politics for 18 months because he did not follow some rules during last year’s elections.
This made some people very angry, and they wanted to get to the parliament building in Barcelona. Protesters walked through the streets and they threw pig heads at police.
Difficult words: independent (not controlled by others), ban (to officially stop), office (where a person works), elections (when people choose a person for a job in government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos