Change for Kashmir – level 2
Kashmir is a region located in the Himalayan mountains, and both India and Pakistan claim the territory. The dispute even led the two countries to three wars.
Thanks to laws in the Indian constitution, Kashmir had special status and was an autonomous region for the last 70 years.
However, on Monday the 5th, Kashmir’s autonomy ended, and India made a move to get control of the region. Thousands of soldiers moved there, tourists evacuated, and Internet service stopped.
The move was not a complete surprise. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s party, which is in power, was campaigning to stop Kashmir’s special status earlier.
Pakistan is not happy about the situation. The country said that this move is against United Nations and that it will do everything to push back against India.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.