Change for Kashmir – level 3
Tensions rose between India and Pakistan on Monday 5th after the Indian government made a move to give it more control over the disputed border region of Kashmir.
Both India and Pakistan claim the Muslim-majority region, which is located in the Himalayan mountains, and the lengthy dispute has dragged both nations into three wars.
Kashmir has had autonomous rule for the last 70 years, thanks to Article 370 in India’s constitution. Except for certain matters, the special status gave the region the right to make its own laws.
However, on Monday the 5th, the Indian president revoked Kashmir’s special status. The news was not totally surprising, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party was campaigning to revoke Kashmir’s special status. The Indian government deployed thousands of soldiers to the region over the weekend, evacuated tourists from the area, and stopped Internet service.
Pakistan said that the move violated the United Nations resolutions and that it would “exercise all possible options to counter the illegal steps” taken by India.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.